Click here to get my free ebook on how to build a better website
While thinking of what to write today, I decided to write about SEO. Since Search engines are a good way of generating traffic to a blog or website and wordpress is the most popular blogging platform. I know the majority of my readers are also using wordpress I decided to write a post on wordpress SEO.
Search Engine Optimization short formed SEO is the process of optimizing your blog or posts for search engines so as to get increase in rankings and more traffic from the search engines.
If you are looking for the ultimate wordpress SEO guide you will ever need, here is it at your disposal. The only thing I need from you is your ultimate attention and absolute practice.
Anyhow everything goes, I will like to hear your vies in the comment section.
- Permalink Structure: Your permalink structure is the structure of your link e.g. “writersincharge.com/wordpress-seo” OR “writersincharge.com/seo/wordpress-seo” or “writersincharge.com/2010/04/wordpress-seo”. Your permalink structure is very important. The best permalink structure is the first and second one above because they are very short and straightforward. Search engines also love short URLs. If you are just starting a wordpress blog and you want to use any of the first two permalink structure above, you can do that by going to SETTINGS >> PERMALINKS inside your wordpress admin dashboard. Select “custom structure” and use the code “/%postname%/” or “/%category%/%postname%/” (Without quotes).
- Meta Tags: The title tag consists of the Meta title, Meta keywords and Meta description. A wordpress plugin has been made to simplify this purpose, the name of the plugin is “All in One SEO Pack”, and you can download the plugin here. The Meta title is what will be displayed to others when they try to search for keywords related to your blog in the search engines, the Meta title is what will be displayed to them. Your meta title can be entirely different from your post title: After installing the “all in one seo” plugin, you will see a box anytime you scroll down when trying to write a new post, you can see how the box looks like in the image below: . Enter your Meta title in the box provided. The Meta description is the next most important factor; it is what will be displayed to others when they try searching for your site in the search engines, it is very important to have a compelling description because it can significantly increase your click through rate. The next one is the Meta keywords, this is not that important because it does not impact your search engine rankings (at least not on Google), you can enter your desired keywords here.
- Canonicalism: This is the process of determining whether you want your URL to be www or non www. I prefer mine to be www so you will be redirected to www.writersincharge.com even if you typed writersincharge.com. You can decide how you want your URL to be by going to the general settings in wordpress: SETTINGS >> GENERAL. AN example is in the image below: You will discover mine is https://www.writersincharge.com Try changing yours to the type you want. URL Canonicalism is very important because if you are not using it Google and other search engines will believe your website is two different website with the same content thereby causing you the duplicate content penalty.
- Alt title: This is the alternative title you give to your image, it is very important to use alt titles in your images because search engines cannot read images but the alternative title tells the search engines what your image is about.
- Interlinking: This is the process of linking to external pages/posts on your blog, this is a very effective method that I do use to dominate search engine ranking positions. If I find a keyword to difficult to rank for after gaining external links to a particular post of mine, sometimes interlinking the post using my desired anchor text do help.
- Noindex: You might be thinking, of what usefulness is this. I was searching for my site on Google on a particular day just to discover that the top pages were category pages, this will take the position that your other posts are to take which will in turn affect your rankings adversely. It is important to noindex category, archive and tag pages. How do I do this you ask? The all in one seo pack has the functionality of turning doing this, you can do this by going to SETTINGS >> ALL IN ONE SEO and by Instructing it to noindex category, archive and tag pages.
- Link building: All the above methods are bonus, the major one is link building. Links control the web and they are the basis of search engine rankings. It is important to always link to your blog and posts both internally and externally. There are various link building methods such as “Article Marketing”, “Blog Commenting”, “Guest posting”, “Social Bookmarking” and “Forum Posting”. The most effective of all is Guest Posting, because you will have links to your blog posts on authority blogs. Quantity of link is not what matters but the quality of the websites and blogs linking to you. I prefer using guest posting for link building because it is a way of securing eternal quality and authority backlinks on authority blogs. Try to come up with a great blog post idea, and write for other people’s blog, you will discover that in no time it will be very easy for you to rank for the majority of your keywords.
- Page Speed: This is another great factor you should consider; Google now uses page speed as a ranking factor. The speed of your website is also very important so that your users will want to spend more time on your blog. If you want to improve your website speed, you can use the wordpress plugin “WP Super Cache” or “WP Total Cache”, they will help you compress your blog and make it faster.
This is the end of this post, Implement all listed above, use them to your advantage and let me see you climb the ranks.
I will love to hear from you in the comments section.