On the first of January this year I kick-started a new feature on this blog which is displaying my income report on a constant basis. For some business and personal reasons I was unable to display my income report early this month but as someone always trying his best to be a man of his word I have determined that no matter what, I will continue to display my income and traffic report on this blog on a consistent basis.
I love reading a lot of content, especially content that challenges the norm, and one thing I have noticed is that even though a large percentage of readers see displaying income reports as a source of motivation and inspiration that anything is possible in blogging some people still see it as a form of bragging. I was recently reading a debate on the subject on Lisa Irby’s blog and it was really refreshing reading people’s opinion on displaying one’s income report on his blog. When I first came across this post (it only has a few comments then) I was confused at to what to do but after reading the post again when it has so many comments I noticed that readers are okay with displaying your income report as long as it is done with moderation while also adding value to their lives. I will also not fail to point out that it is totally impossible for me to please everybody and I have no plan to please all of you so I don’t expect every one of my readers to approve of what I do. All I know is that I do everything I do with my readers’ interest in mind and anytime I see that a particular thing I do is not going to benefit them I do my best to stop doing it.
Given the above point here are some reasons why I display my monthly income and traffic report:
1. To Build My Credibility: A lot of other people can lie to look good in front of their readers but I won’t try to lie to you, while I have a lot of great plans for my readers I have noticed that there is no way they can take my advice and put it to practice if they don’t trust me. So clearly, my number one reason for displaying my income report is to build my credibility.
2. To Inspire and Motivate: My December 2010 income and traffic report which was the first one ever has received over 1500 views till date when my posts on this blog only average 300 views. I’d also like you to know that my December 2010 report did not get any traffic from Stumbleupon or any other social bookmarking site, it only got 14 retweets and 10 Facebook likes and the total social media traffic to it is less than 100. Considering this, it is no secret why this post is still highly successful; a lot of the traffic to it is either direct, from links on other blogs and forums and from the Google search engine. People are spreading the word about this since it is really motivating them and if that is what it does then I have no intention of stopping it soon; I want my readers to succeed at all cost, even if that means me challenging them with the results I get.
3. To Teach: Even though I just started reporting my income and traffic report and it is in no form perfect I will like you to know that my main aim for displaying it is to teach and help people achieve more success online. I read income reports of other bloggers with all my heart and I’m ready to digest every single detail I see in it so the best way to open people’s mind and make them take action is by giving them tips on how to increase their earnings in your income report. Seeing what you’ve achieved will open their minds and challenge them towards achieving the same, and the end result will be success for both you and your readers; after all, it doesn’t matter how much money I make or how much results I achieve I am not successful if my readers don’t succeed.
Now that I’ve given you some reasons why I display my income report I’d like you to see it as that and nothing else. I believe that is how we both can get the best from these reports.
News in January
A lot of awesome things happened in January that made it the best month for me in terms of achievements, but believe me, it was also almost my worst month.
This blog received a Google Pagerank 4 in January (I expected more though;) ), even with little posts from me and almost all the posts published on this blog being guest posts I was able to get around 9,000 visitors to this blog. Even though the number is not that impressive or what I want we can’t deny the fact that it is still something for a lazy or busy blogger (I think I was the latter in January:) ).
My designer was also able to complete my awesome design (the one this blog is presently using) in January and I have since noticed an increase of over 50% in my subscriber count. If you want to do anything design, coding and platform development related I recommend the team at Blazersix.com and I give them my 100% trust. As long as you know what you want you will be able to get the best from them.
You will notice a lot of things about me and this blog such as giving an irrelevant ebook on getting traffic when this blog is about business and entrepreneurship (yes, that is really affecting my email list subscriber growth), such as the “ugly” picture of mine all over the web, on the sidebar and on my about page (as an anonymous commenter or “web troll” commented in order to make me feel less of myself), such as a lot of things that are cluttered and unorganized on this blog. It is only a matter of time and everything will be fixed soon; In fact, I can assure you that a lot of major changes will be made in the next few weeks on this blog in order to make this blog the best and let people see me for whom I really am.
January 2011 Traffic Report
January isn’t really a great month as far as the traffic to this blog is concerned and considering the fact that I was so busy in January and I wrote only 2 posts personally – all the others are guest posts – I’m really grateful to get that much traffic. February traffic is already rising, though, so I believe my traffic for this month will be better than that of January.
Also, considering the fact that my traffic from stumbleupon dropped significantly in January I can tell you that, even though less, January’s traffic is far better than that of December 2010. Below are some screen shots for you to see for yourself.
The Main Traffic
The Top Sources
The Popular Posts
By taking a look at the above screenshots you can easily tell that I have a lot to do, especially in relation to my bounce rate and the average time spent on site. I don’t always believe the stats though because I get a lot of comments and emails from readers (which means there is conversion) but it really won’t hurt trying something new.
Lessons Learnt from January Traffic
I learnt a lot from the traffic I got to this blog in January and I have decided to summarize the most important ones of those lessons below.
1. Transparency Matters: The results I got from my last income and traffic report blew me off. Being the first of its kind, it now has over 120 comments, a lot of links and is presently the most popular post for this year. I’m sure displaying that report will have given me a lot of new readers and this goes further to prove the power of transparency when it comes to doing anything online.
2. Don’t Neglect Social Media: Is it social bookmarking, social networking or the newly rising social blogmarking? The worst mistake a blogger will make is neglecting social media traffic. My second most popular post has been viewed over 5,000 times till date and that is as a result of it going viral on Stumbleupon. Facebook is also one of my top traffic sources and if only I had started using Facebook for my business earlier I’m sure that number you’re seeing above would have doubled. It doesn’t really matter whether you’re getting traffic from social media or not, just make sure you make it easy for people to share your content there because, at the end, you have nothing to lose.
3. Don’t Ignore SEO
The third most popular post in the above traffic report is presently the most popular post on this blog and it keeps on getting a lot of traffic from the search engines. In fact, a lot of people spend more time reading that post than the other posts.
Make sure you don’t ignore SEO for your posts but rather research your titles very well, focus on creating unique resource posts and then make extra efforts to build quality backlinks to your posts.
4. Guest Blogging Still Works: Considering I write a lot about guest blogging and that I even have a whole report dedicated to it I don’t think there is much to say here. Some of my best traffic comes from guest blogging and it is what helped me build my name and online status in no time.
5. Blog Commenting Works, Magic: Whether you like to believe it or not, blog commenting works! The problem is just that a lot of people make a mistake of commenting on hundreds of blogs and then expecting their traffic to skyrocket. One of my top 10 traffic sources is Smart Passive Income Blog and I presently don’t have a guest post on it so it is obvious most of my traffic from there comes from my comments on it. In fact, there are days I get as much as 40 visitors from the site alone (more than I get from some of my guest posts) so you should never underestimate the power of blog commenting – it just has to be done wisely.
With the above points made clear I hope you can start implementing them and expect to see a significant increase in your blog traffic. And no, you shouldn’t expect to start getting this much traffic overnight because every success has a small beginning and WritersinCharge is almost a year now, so, take your time, give your best and expect the right results.
January 2011 Income Report
Perhaps this is the most exciting part of all. January is presently my best month ever in terms of income and as a 17 year old kid I doubt if this is too little for me to have a living. And also, I don’t spend my money drinking beers (I’ve never “tasted” one in my life) or living a wayward life. In fact, I don’t (and I doubt if I will ever) have a girlfriend so the bulk of my income either goes to taking care of my family and going to my business. I’m still a student who plan going to school but I don’t think that is still feasible this year; I want to make sure my going to school doesn’t affect my business in any way (and I don’t want to study from home) so I still have a lot of work to do and a lot of money to make in order to achieve my dreams.
Below are the income breakdown for the month of January:
1. Writing Services: $4683.5
2. Affiliate Marketing: $30
3. Referral Services: 321.75
4. Google Adsense: $10
Total Income: $5045.25
Below is an income graph (I see many of us love that) to give you more idea.
The above graph should do if you love graphs 🙂
Into More Details
After posting my first income report last month I got a lot of emails and comments from readers wanting to know which service I offered that made me much money. It was then that it became clear that I didn’t do my best to explain my income sources in my last report so I will be making amend in this report. Below are some more info I can give about my income sources (if you have more questions pls ask, but also have it in mind that there is a limit to what I can share).
1. Writing Services: Unlike most bloggers, very few of my income comes from my blog and the bulk of my income comes from me helping people to write online (thanks to my guest posting efforts). I have now signed a contract with a company that helps me make a minimum of $3,000 online every month and as a result of our agreement I have presently stopped taking clients.
I know a lot of you might think I’m lucky and that a lot of things I preach on this blog are not practical. In case you’d like to know, I have been contacted by several other clients in January and also this month who want me to be offering the same services to them but I had to turn them down. My point is that my services income is not as a result of luck but hardwork (and God’s favor) because if it had been luck I wouldn’t be getting consistent flow of interested clients. What made things easy for me was my record of writing a lot of guest posts and being consistent with it – this made people respect me as far as writing is concerned and they now see me as someone they can rely on when it comes to this. I will also like to stress that there is nothing called overnight success and I had to work for a minimum of 8 months (in which I wrote over 270 guest posts) before I got to where I am and that anything that brings about success has a foundation; start now and don’t expect to make much money, with time, you will be happy you did.
2. Affiliate Marketing
Some of the products I reviewed last year such as the Vizio Thesis Skin are still bringing in some sales and as you’ve probably noticed, I haven’t reviewed any product this year. I have one great product that will help you skyrocket your list building so make sure you stay tuned for that one towards the end of this month.
3. Referral Services
I have some products I’m still testing and promoting but I’m waiting to make sure I trust perfectly before writing about on this blog. These programs are free to join so it is super easy to make a great income from them (in fact, I can bet posting about it on WritersinCharge will make me close to a thousand dollars in one week) but I only promote what I trust on this blog and these programs are on what I call my incubation list. You will hear about them when the time comes.
4. Google Adsense
I have some blogs I have abandoned for over a year now but they still keep on generating income via Google Adsense. I plan to start focusing on some blogs of this nature and niche marketing in general later this year. Rest assured, I will let you know how everything goes once I start.
Some Cool Updates
I will be coming out with a lot of new things on this blog soon and some of them are podcasting, video blogging and the long awaited release of my new free ebook on how I make money online. I have started working on my ebook and I plan to be releasing it soon, so make sure you stay tuned for that one. And yes, you will have to enter your name and email address to get that ebook – I also have to get something for my hardwork.
I Need Your Help
I need your honest and sincere help as far as this blog is concerned. I only have one major aim for this blog and that is to help my readers so I will go to any length to make sure this is achieved.
I want you to give me your honest opinion on this blog, its design, pages on it, its structure and anything you can think about. What do you want to be added or removed, what do you want to be improved? Every honest opinion will really be appreciated.
PS: There is also an awesome interview with me live on Jeedo’s blog at Entrepreneurs Venture so I highly recommend you read the interview and give your honest opinions about it: Onibalusi Bamidele Interview.