This is a guest post by Jason.
Link building is a process in search engine optimization, which is intended to make a site popular through links from other websites directing to the page(s) being optimized to have higher search rankings.
Basically, the quality and quantity of links on the web pointing to a certain website/page are used by search engines in weighing a site’s importance as well as relevance to its targeted search terms in order to provide online users relevant results when seeking for information over the web.
For small business websites, it’s important to gain the trust of users to improve the chances of getting leads or to simply convert incoming traffic. And one of the best ways to earn trust from users is to be visible to them by means of having high rankings on search engine result pages for your site’s targeted keywords and offering a solid content in which your targeted market should see or obtain real value from it once they land on your webpage.
To start off, there are several ways to attract and generate leads through the link building methods or process itself and through its end results (which is to gain higher search rankings). Here are some of the methods that can help your site’s online marketing campaign’s long and short-term goals:
Submitting a guest blog on authority blogs that have a similar theme to yours and have high traffic is certainly one of the best ways to attract leads to your business. This method offers a lot of advantages to your site’s SEO as well as marketing campaign, given that you are offering valuable information in front of a highly targeted market.
P.S. Onibalusi here. Download my guest blogging guide here to know more about guest blogging.
- It can generate relevant traffic to your site as the hosting blogs’ followers get to see your content.
- It allows you to showcase your expertise about your industry and helps to develop your brand.
- Visitors to your site coming from this link building method have higher chances of being converted to leads, as they are already aware of what your site is offering through your submitted content.
- Your site is acquiring high quality links from authority blogs that can help boost your targeted keyword’s search rankings.
- Links built through this method are more likely to stay on the web as long as the site is live, which means a robust, venerable and longstanding vote for your keyword rankings.
- Helps in improving your site’s Pagerank, as links from your guest blogs have good link placements and are certain to be topically relevant.
- It allows you to build relationships with authority blogs, which can eventually help your site get more exposure in the future.
- Your content hosted on their blog will stay for a while, which in turn can generate consistent traffic to your site, particularly if it gets its own search rankings.
Using Your Content as a Resource
One concept of link building that hasn’t really been utilized by most marketers today is the idea of using and promoting their site’s informative and educational content as a resource in genuinely contributing to the community. There are many channels wherein you can promote your content and build quality links to boost your site’s keyword rankings and trust factor such as:
- Q&A sites – answering relevant questions posted on sites such as Quora and Yahoo Answers, and linking to your content or blog posts as the resource for your answers.
- Forums – finding forum threads and sharing your knowledge by answering questions related to your expertise, and of course, providing a link to your content to offer more comprehensive details about the subject.
- Blog Discussions – reading blog posts and discussions/comments related to your subject matter also gives you a good linking opportunity, as you can use your content as a resource in strengthening your opinion about the topic as well as in keeping your comment short but succinct.
- Internal links – promoting your old contents through your newer blog posts as a resource is definitely a good way to build high quality links, given that internal links are very much capable of carrying the same amount of link value that backlinks (or links from other websites) do.
- Link Requests – reaching out to sites/pages that might be interested to link to your content as a resource through email can enhance your contents’ visibility and can certainly boost its search rankings as the citations that you’ll mostly acquire from this method are able to generate your site’s content more editorial links.
- Can generate highly interested traffic to your site, since you’ve provided valuable information through social interaction.
- Sharing your expertise through information-driven links improves the chances of attracting leads to your site. Given that the links you have generated are more likely to grab the attention of those who’ll be able to see it because it was used as a resource.
- You’re building highly trusted links in the eyes of search engines, seeing as the links acquired through these methods are offering real value to the community.
- Naturalizes your site’s link profile through the ratio of the link attributes built (nofollow and dofollow links), variations of the methods used, nature of link growth (as you don’t get to obtain massive links everyday) and relevance of the linking pages.
- The concept is non-manipulative, since links acquired through this process are directing to several inner-pages (your site’s contents) instead of just the homepage of the site. This enhances the site’s source of traffic, as these inner pages get more popular and get their own rankings on search engines.
Creating an Ebook that imparts extensive details and useful content related to your industry can help your marketing and lead generation campaign in so many ways:
- Builds natural, quality and relevant links to your site when submitted to PDF directories like Scribd and Docstoc and if readers are encouraged to use your ebook as a giveaway to their own marketing campaign.
- Placing links directing to your site’s important pages through your Ebook can generate traffic that have the motive to purchase.
- It displays your brand’s expertise, which can leverage the trust they see in your business.
- Promoting your free Ebook through your site’s opt-in will increase relevant people subscribing to your newsletter and to your email list.
- Builds up your email list, where you can generate more leads.
- Generates more virally driven links, since related sites do pick up and syndicate highly informative PDF files.
Web 2.0 Properties
Making use of web 2.0 properties in promoting your small businesses over the web allows you to give more in-depth information about how it works. There are many authority web 2.0 sites that you can utilize to publish promotional content (where you can link out to your site’s important pages as well as your free Ebook) – such as Squidoo and Hubpages.
- Helps boost your site’s targeted keywords’ search rankings.
- Pages from popular web 2.0 sites passes through a lot of link juice, since most have high domain authority.
- Pages built from these sites have better chances of getting their own search rankings, seeing as they are highly trusted by search engines.
- It’s a content-based method that often provides loads of information, which puts more emphasis in establishing trust for your business’ brand and in generating leads.
Press Release Submission
Press release is one of the most effective ways in generating natural links on the web to your site and getting more exposure for your business, because it can be picked up by news sites and generate buzz about your business, if done appropriately. It also develops your business’ lead generation tactic as you generate interest to the public.
Creating an angle for your Press Release story:
- Industry expert views or Interviews (probably you, as the subject).
- Business statistics (revenue, investments, etc…).
- Your business’ charity works or upcoming events.
- Breaking news in your industry, in which your business can provide solutions.
- Upcoming products and/or services.
It’s also important that you promote your Press Release through social media to make the most out of it and for your submissions to have higher rates of generating leads. Making the submitted content extremely interesting, informative and well-researched will enhance the chances of making it go viral.
- Press Release articles can easily get high rankings on search engine result pages as it shows to be very relevant and up-to-date.
- Can go viral, when picked up by authority news sites or if mentioned by news articles as a resource.
- Provides high quality, relevant and in-content links to your site.
- Pages from these sites are more likely to be permanent on the web.
- Allows you to obtain links from related blogs and news sites, if they have given proper attribution to your site as the original source of the news. This can also build up your site’s trustworthiness (seeing as you have been mentioned by top and authority blogs and news sites), which can attract more leads.