Our guest today is someone who has been very successful with blogging, Harsh Agrawal. Harsh owns a lot of blogs, all getting hundreds of thousands of visitors every month. Harsh also makes thousands of dollars every month and what else is better than learning from the master himself.
You can learn more from his main blog at ShoutMeLoud.
1. Hi Harsh, It is really great to have you as a guest on WritersinCharge, can you pls introduce yourself in case some of my readers don’t know you?
Hey Oni, It’s my pleasure to do an interview for you. You are one of youngest creative blogger I have ever seen with great marketing skills. Now getting back to interview:
For all who doesn’t know me, I’m a professional blogger from India who blogs about Blogging, Small business and Technology. I started my blogging journey with ShoutMeLoud.com and later added many websites into my blog network. I’m an engineer by education and blogger by profession.
2. You are really a great blogger, how did you get started online?
I feel overwhelmed with that word (Great blogger) but I still consider myself as a learning blogger. Everyday I’m learning new thing and to get the title of Great blogger, I need to work twice as much as I’m working now.
Since my childhood I was fascinated with Computer and that’s one the reason I opted for Computer engineering. Like every young kid I started my online journey with chatting and wasting my time on social networking sites. Later on I started few blogs on BlogSpot which was a hobby blog where I used to share articles about hacking and technology.
After Engineering, while I was waiting for my call letter from Accenture (Company which recruited me), I started with ShoutMeLoud and within 6 months I was making almost 800-1000$/month and by that time I have decided, this is the path for my career and I become a professional blogger.
3. I read almost all your blogs and one thing I see about you is that you always put in a lot of effort to make your blog a success, what is your motivation for this?
When I write something I always think how it’s going to help readers. I write article from a reader perspective and try to write everything as step by step, so that even a started can pick everything I’m trying to add.
I believe that’s how people started loving ShoutMeLoud because I always try to make things simple for everyone. Especially How-to articles on my blog perform the best.
4. When you just started online there are a lot of pitfalls you face, how are you able to overcome these pitfalls?
Blogging is all about learning from your own mistakes. I had lots of issues in the beginning most of them are related to writing (English is not my first language), I started learning and till now I’m way away from what we call as perfection but I’m learning a new thing every day. Another thing is fear to fail, I had many projects in my mind but I never started them because of fear of failure. But I learned with time, it’s always wise to start something and iterate as many time as I can to make it good. Try and fail is still a better thing than never try and now fail.
5. It is always great to see Shoutmeloud growing, what is your traffic generation strategy?
I mostly depend on Search engine for my traffic but at the same time I started targeting social media sites like Facebook, Twitter and now after Search engine, Facebook is one of the top referring sites for ShoutMeLoud traffic.
6. You are always attracting a lot of guest bloggers at ShoutMeLoud, how are you able to do this?
It’s more like understanding what a guest blogger need. I have made everything very transparent like submitting article by logging into dashboard, 100% adsense revenue sharing, amazing commentators and backlink to your site. More over I try to focus more on branding of my guest authors, and I have their gravatar on homepage, below post and byline at the top of article. I believe above mentioned reasons are always good to attract guest authors. More over If I reject any post, I always give me feedback and I try to interact personally with my regular guest author. You being a regular guest author at SML, you might have realized this.
7. We all make mistakes, what is your greatest mistake as a blogger and how do you feel about it? I mean, what would you have done instead?
Plagiarism is the first mistake which every blogger does and that’s how I started my blogging career. When I was on BlogSpot I used to copy posts from other blogs which I used to like. Obviously my intention was to have all the info on one website and I never monetize that site. In fact that time I had no idea about blogging and how to make money via Blogging. Later on I realize it’s not ethical, I deleted that blog.
Another thing which I missed and one of my biggest mistakes was lack of SEO knowledge. Initially when I started with WordPress blog, I never optimize it for Search engine. I had no idea what’s Google XML sitemap plugin, what is All in one SEO plugin and other basic SEO knowledge. For every one who is starting with Blogging, it’s essential to know basics of SEO.
8. What is your best way to make money blogging and do you think it can work for everybody?
The best and easiest way is by using Adsense or other advertising network. Obviously compare to affiliate marketing, Adsense is nothing but again it’s a source of recurring income which makes it better than anything else.
Now coming to making money, it’s directly proportion to traffic. If you have traffic, you will make money by any means. For traffic SEO is a requisite. So in short everything is interconnected.
Moral of the story: If you wish to make money via blogging, learn SEO and start blogging.
9. Shoutmeloud is really a great blog, do you think any new blog can be as successful as ShoutMeLoud or would one need a great skill to build a great type of blog?
ShoutMeLoud is a niche blog for bloggers so it’s hard for me to do the same with other blog. For an example my Tech niche blog CallingAllGeeks.org is doing really good with traffic. Within 3 months its traffic reached to 100,000+ Page view’s from 40000 Page view’s
10. What is your best advice for bloggers in general?
Find your writing style and be creative. Never ever blog for money. Blogging for money might make money for you, but you will get tired of this eventually.
11. Who is your favorite blogger online? Which book inspires you most?
It’s hard to name any one because I like many bloggers writing style. But to name a few I like Daniel Scocco from dailyblogtips.com because of its simple writing style. I like Darren Rowse for its detailed guide for bloggers and Amit agrawal from labnol.org for his unique content.
31 days to build a better blog is something which I recommend to every blogger. This book will help you to get much requisite boost and will help you to take your blog to next level.
12. My readers want to learn more from you, can you pls tell us about your websites and products?
At this moment I’m running few websites and services which I will list down:
- ShoutMeLoud: Blog for Bloggers and Make money online tips.
- CallingAllGeeks: Blog for Gadgets and Tech lovers.
- ThemePremium: WordPress tutorials blog
- WpHostingDiscount: WordPress Webhosting resources
- Thesis Customization Service: My service portal for Thesis Theme Customization.
- WpfreeSetup: Project under construction. This service will offer free SEO optimized WordPress blog with a catch.
- Twitter: Most of the time you will find me Tweeting random interesting stuff.
- Facebook: I interact with my readers and other bloggers here.
Onibalusi Here: This is really a great interview with a very humble and successful blogger. I have always been learning from Harsh and I will always learn from him. You can check his websites and products above to get a feel of his stuff.