It was a Saturday Afternoon, and a gun was placed at my head, with this controversial question asked, “Brand VS Traffic, which do you prefer”. Without thinking twice, I said brand.
Don’t fret, No Gun was placed at my head, or I would rather say, “my thought placed a gun at my head, asking me the above question”.
Lets Start the Real thing!
If I were to ask you which you will prefer, in having a great brand or having tons of traffic, which would you choose?
I know this question is very controversial, so I would first give you the benefits of both, take my pick and give you some bonus tips on “my pick”.
A Great Brand!
Why do you need a great brand? Your brand is what speaks for you, it portrays you, your product, your quality and most importantly, your message.
Having a rock solid brand for your business is very important in so many ways, here are some benefits of having a great brand below.
1. You are Easily Remembered: Every one of us wants to be remembered, you want to have an online presence, you want people to recommended you to their friends.
The truth is, if people cannot remember you then they will not be able to make recommendations of you to others.
Having a great brand helps eliminate this problem. Take Google for example, everywhere we go, it is Google, why? Because they have built their brand.
2. More Traffic: I would like to give you some analysis of search engine traffic to this blog.
Here are my 5 top keywords for May.
1. young entrepreneur blog – 43 Visits
2. thewritersincharge – 17 Visits
3. dofollow press release sites – 12 Visits
4. top do follow+submit press release sites – 10 Visits
5. writersincharge.com – 10 Visits
You will notice my “writersincharge” appearing twice in the top keywords. It means I am building a proper brand.
PS: This blog is just two months old so I presently get little traffic from search engines (about 800 in may).
Another thing is that I get over thousands of people coming to this blog every month “directly”. It might be as a result of people telling their friends about my blog or so, it is all about branding.
“Branding is not all about having the best design or getting yourself the most beautiful logo, it is far more than that“
If you have a great brand then it will be very easy for your website to grow, people will easily tell their friends, families and readers about you because your brand has sticked right into their head.
3. Position Yourself as an Expert: Pls, I don’t mind if you could give me the answer to this question in the comments, “Do I talk like a 16-year-old boy?” Nay! I talk boldly and with confidence and authority on this blog so you can would always think I one big man if you don’t know much about me.
With the types of questions and comments I get, I can easily decode Many people place me as an expert in my field. How do you know if the same is applicable to you in your field? You can take the following questions into consideration.
1. How do your readers see you?
2. Do your readers/clients ask you for advice?
3. Which type of advice do they ask you?
4. As a blogger, do they ask you to write about a particular topic?
The question is almost endless and they are asking you because they think you know it. If you get a decent amount of traffic and you are not being asked this type of questions then you can begin to take a look on your posts. Do you talk with authority or subjectiveness?
I personally discovered it is not about the quality of your post but how your post is being laid out.
Truth is, “Your blog posts also have a long way to affect your brand”. If you write rubbish with subjectiveness then it will surely corrupt your brand or even help make sure you don’t have a brand.
If you write great and useful posts with great personality and authority, it will help you grow your brand faster and also increase the respect people have for you, it will also show people a “VERY UNIQUE” side of you which will make them think there is no other person like you thereby taking all you say as the final and also making them buy your products without doubts in their minds.
4. Respect and credibility: We all want respect! We all want credibility! Which do you think is the best product launch? Is it the one in which you have a lot of traffic and sold 1000 products in one day or the one in which you have less traffic and sold 100 the first day, the 100 people who bought told others then you sold thousands and the trend continues? I will better pick the latter.
If you could work towards building a great brand, it will help you gain respect and credibility which will in turn affect how people deal with you.
In case you don’t know, Having respect and credibility helps you grow quickly, because people will tell others about you, it also helps you make sales easily because people will not think twice before they buy from you. Why is it so easy for scammers to make lots of sales using Google’s name? It is because of Google’s great brand.
Your brand will determine what you will be in years to come, it will determine whether you would have gone into extinction or whether you will be a great giant.
5. It Brings in New Opportunities: Having a great brand helps you easily gain new opportunities, you will just be seeing people contacting you for partnership and the likes everyday.
The power of a great brand should not be underestimated, traffic might not make you millions but a great brand can. If Google begins to sell a product for $500,000 now, in no time, they would have made millions from it but if it were to be a matter of traffic, nobody would want to risk his money, or what do you think?
6. It Makes you Unique: This is the great thing about a brand, it is what separates you from the competition, it gives a new definition of you, it tells people more about you.
My Brand, is different from yours and yours is different from Google’s. Our brands can never be the same, which means, what you do will only be attributed to you.
Just take a look at the homepage of Digg and you will begin to see all this big sites on the front-page, Why? because they have taken their time to build a great brand.
If I continue to tell you the benefits of building a great brand, then I am afraid, you might not finish reading this post (that is even if you managed to get to this point).
Now What of Traffic!
The truth is, without traffic, you can never have a brand, and with very little traffic, you can make more sales than someone with far more traffic than you do.
Having a Great Brand is not all about getting all the traffic in this world but maximizing, or better said, “making effective use” of the traffic.
I can have a better brand than someone who gets thousands of visitors everyday, take for example, problogger and quickonlinetips. It is evident that many of you might have not even heard of quick online tips while many of us know who Darren is (the owner of Problogger).
Quick online tips post about 5 posts everyday and gets tons of search engine traffic while Darren posts only one post a day and gets enough attention.
I used both of them because the get the same type of traffic (around 600,000 unique visitors monthly – I am sure quick online tips will be getting even more traffic now).
Below are some great benefits of getting tons of traffic to your blog.
1. It Leads to a Great Brand (If properly used): Yeah! I know I am confusing you, but WAIT!!!
One of the advantages of getting lots of traffic to a blog is that it can also be an element of a great brand.
If you don’t have traffic, then it is simple, You can’t have a brand. getting the right type of traffic will help you in so many ways.
2. It brings about Sales: Truth is, you might not have a brand, but If you have a good copy and also could get traffic to your sales page, then you can easily make sales, people want to benefit from what you have to offer and without them knowing you offer something they would not buy from you. Traffic is what brings your message in contact with them. No traffic means no sale.
3. Traffic can also help you build a brand: Yeah! Since you can’t build a brand without traffic, then a brand is not possible if there is no traffic.
Having the right type of traffic will help you build your brand faster.
Let me confide in you…
I am dumbfounded, I don’t know what to say again. I just don’t have any points again (I know traffic is great, but I can hardly come across any great benefit of traffic now).
What is your pick?
After analyzing both, I would tell you that I am personally confused (so confused), I don’t know what to choose, should it be traffic or a brand? A brand is great and traffic is great.
I can’t just end this post like this so I would have to go with one.
Going with my first point on the benefits of getting tons of traffic to a blog, I would go with traffic.
Why? Since getting traffic can lead to great brand and it is also impossible to have a brand without traffic, then I would rather go with traffic. Even if I don’t have a brand, I can easily make some sales and get my name out there… BUT… I would rather make effective use of my traffic and use it to build a great brand so that I wouldn’t hate myself in the future.
My Pick is…. TRAFFIC!!! TRAFFIC!!! TRAFFIC!!!
Now that I have chosen traffic, I would like to give you some great tips on how to get traffic to your blog.
1. Give Value: Since your post/blog/website is not worth any read if you don’t give value, why then do you want traffic.
It is very important to give value in anything you do, even if you are a business. I wonder why your business exists if you are not ready to give value, is it to make money? Then you are deceiving yourself. Traffic is meant for only those who are providing value.
I am someone who has had some blogs for sometimes now and I will tell you that getting traffic to a website is not the problem but maintaining it.
I discovered that if I write a really great and useful post then in a little period of time, it will have gotten a lot of retweets, and in not time people will be coming to that post through Facebook and email (I don’t use Facebook and I didn’t send any email about those posts), all these will lead to even more traffic.
You really can get traffic but can you maximize it? Getting real traffic will make sure your traffic is increasing month by month whether you promote your blog/website or not.
It is also very important to give value because it will also have effect on your brand.
2. Network: I have personally discovered that every single traffic generation revolves around networking (even SEO).
You might say you don’t network – that can be possible if you don’t get people to your website at all. If you truly want to get lots of people to visit your blog/website regularly then you have to network a lot.
You might network with big people or “small upcoming” people.
The fact that you tried to network with Darren (or A-lists) and they don’t accept does not mean you can’t succeed. Darren and other A-list bloggers are not fools and the fact that they don’t accept does not make them proud or prove that they don’t want the growth of others. What is the benefit of me helping another person grow if I don’t want to grow? If you want to network successfully with Darren or other A-list bloggers, then you must have something in it for them.
The great secret about networking is that, “It is not all about you, but them” If you are to network, think about others first before you i.e. If you will digg one of your article, then you must have dugg 20 others that does not belong to you.
3. Be Creative: People sometimes call it being controversial, but I tell you, “It’s more than that”. I call it Creativity.
You should always come up with new and great Ideas. If you take a close look at Blogussion, you will discover that He didn’t have that great community before the theme. Alex was very creative and that was what made him come up with the Idea of Blogussion (Which is presently the best thesis skin out there). Immediately after launching His theme, He got traction, He made the buzz, He became respected and He got a swarm of loyal readers (just because of a paid product).
It doesn’t matter whether what you come up with is paid or free, it is all about you being creative.
3. Social Networks: Go out there and see many top bloggers, you will notice twitter is one of the top traffic sources for many of them. Why is it social networking? The future of the web is in the media, it is in social networks like twitter, Facebook and “unknown” (unknown are many other great social networking sites to come up). If you put all eggs in one basket then you are wasting your time, if all you do is rely on search engine traffic, then you are digging your grave, a time will come when search engines will no longer be relevant, so what will you do then?
My Advice: LEVERAGE, I am not talking of Humans now, I am talking of traffic. If Google send you tons of visitors a day, try to get them to your Feed reader, twitter account and Facebook account, try also to get them to your mailing list, you are saving yourself for the future.
4. SEO: The fellow who told you search engine traffic is not important must be a great liar (maybe because he is not having it ;)). Try as much as possible to optimize your blog for search engines, try to work on both your on page and off page factors and also try your best to get Links to your blog as much as possible. Here are two great posts on seo: mine and that on viperchill
“The truth is, Links Control the web”
5. Backup: You might never have heard this before but I will tell you it is what the wise people (note: “wise people”) use.
What type of traffic is this backup traffic? It is all about you making sure you don’t rely on all the above traffic generation strategies. Build your list.
Feedburner is great but Limited, your list is only what is not limited and there are many great software that can do that out there, many people use aweber but I use what I only have control of, I use Interspire (I will be writing a review later).
Just start now, tomorrow might be too late.
I sent a mail to my list about a particular post and In less than 48 hours, it became the most popular post for that week, will you tell me I don’t have feed subscribers?
I will have to stop here cos I have written over 2600 words and mind me, this is not a book.
If you are a reader of this site and you have not done this one thing, then I will tell you that you are missing Heaven on Earth, what is that thing? Join My List (and get my free e-book on How to build a better website)
PS: Tweeting and stumbling this post will really be appreciated.
PPS: Some products contain my affiliate links